Australia Skilled Worker Visa: Changes to Australia’s Immigration System in 2023. Australia, a land of diverse opportunities, is redefining its immigration system this year. With a keen eye on minimizing complexities and preventing exploitation, the Australian government is implementing significant changes in its immigration policies after an extensive review.
- Raising the minimum salary threshold for temporary skilled visas from AUD 53,900 to AUD 70,000 from 1 July 2023
- Creating a clear pathway to permanent residency for temporary visa holder.
- Dividing the immigration system into three tiers, one for essential workers in lower paid sectors, one for middle-income earning skilled workers and one for high earners.
Australia Skilled Worker Visa
The country acknowledges the intricate nature of its immigration system, which the recent review identified as having several exploitable flaws. By addressing these issues, the government aims to create a more transparent and equitable immigration process.
Australia’s Continued Demand for Skilled Workers
A nation that thrives on the proficiency and expertise of its migrant workforce, Australia reaffirms its unwavering appetite for skilled individuals despite the recent immigration alterations.
Out of over 200 occupations listed on the Skilled Occupation List, there is a critical shortage in the following occupations:
- Construction managers
- Civil engineering professionals
- Early childhood teachers
- Registered nurses
- ICT (information and communications technology)
- Software and applications programmers
- Child carers
- Age and disability carers
Current Immigration Quotas and Skilled Workers
With the latest immigration quotas signaling the country’s ongoing need for skilled migrants. It’s clear that Australia’s economy heavily relies on their contribution. As of May 9, 2023, there were 137,100 places allotted for skilled migrants, representing a significant 72% of the Migration Programme.
Bridging the Skills Gap in Australia
Australia’s pressing demand for skilled professionals spans various sectors, including trades and critical infrastructure development. Professions such as plumbers, electricians, bricklayers, carpenters, and plasterers are in high demand. Additionally, the nation requires expertise in civil engineering, construction project management, railway engineering, and diesel mechanics, essential for the development of roads, bridges, airports, and railways.
Australian Skilled Visa Application Process
The Australian skilled visa application process presents various options for skilled individuals, providing opportunities for work and residence without the need for employer sponsorship.
Overview of Available Visas
1. Subclass 189 – Skilled Independent Visa:. Catering to skilled workers, this visa grants the liberty to live and work anywhere in Australia, albeit with limited issuances.
2. Subclass 190 – Skilled Nominated Visa.: State-nominated, this visa allows skilled workers to reside and work in the nominating state.
3. Subclass 491 – Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa:. Offering the chance to live and work in regional Australia, this visa includes areas beyond major metropolitan regions. Notably, it covers cities like Perth and the picturesque Sunshine Coast, extending opportunities for various occupations based on the local labor market needs.
In order to qualify for worker an Australian skilled visa you will need to:
- be under the age of 45
- work in a skilled occupation
- have a skills assessment done, if required in your occupation, to prove your knowledge and abilities
- pass an English language test
- be in good health and of good character
- have above a certain total of “points”, which are awarded for factors such as age, experience and education. The Australian government has a points calculator available on its website where you can check your total points according to the visa you wish to apply for.
Step-by-Step Application Process
Initiating the application process involves submitting an Expression of Interest (EOI). Based on your skills and points scored in the evaluation system, the government may extend an invitation to apply for the visa. It’s crucial to comprehend that an EOI submission doesn’t guarantee an invitation, and an invitation doesn’t ensure the visa’s approval. However, possessing skills listed in the Skilled Occupations List increases the likelihood of success if the provided evidence aligns with the claims in the EOI.
Time is of the Essence
With the system set to be discontinued by the end of 2023, aspiring migrants should consider seizing the current opportunity to apply under the existing rules. Understanding the requirements and taking timely action can significantly enhance the chances of a successful application.
Australia’s evolving immigration landscape promises opportunities for skilled individuals willing to contribute to the country’s diverse and thriving economy. Embrace the chance to be part of this dynamic and welcoming nation by exploring the available skilled visa options.
Contact us on +27 (0) 21 657 1526 or [email protected] and let your consultants guide you through the complex Australia Skilled Worker Visa application process